Re: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?

Subject: Re: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 15:24:00 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Eric Moon wrote:
> However, I think ride alongs should be reserved for non-competition runs,
> to be conducted after runs that count for results or points.  It simply is
> not fair for any competitor, of any level, to experience the course from
> a car, at race pace (especially driving), more times than his competition.
> Frankly, I think a new competitor should be focusing on developing skills
> and having a good time--not trying to win a series trophy.  Too much
> emphasis on results detracts from the learning process.  Seat time, seat
> time, seat time....get more, walk more and put it all together.  It takes
> time, no one does it overnight or in a single season.

While (at least in an ideal world) I'd agree that ride alongs should be
reserved for non-comp runs (test and tune days would be ideal for this), I
completely disagree that new competitors shouldn't be focused on getting
feedback from top drivers.  Its not about results, its about getting
better as a driver.  All the seat time and walking in the world often
times don't make up for what an excellent driver might say in an offhand
remark.

I'll give you an example.  Sam Strano was riding along with me at a North
Hills event (I think it was during a drivers school) at the beginning of
this year.  I came flying up to (what I thought) was a sharpish kink to
the right and whacked the brakes good and hard to get the car slowed
enough to make the turn.  When I did that, I saw Sam's body jerk/fly
forward...  It occurred to me "I'll bet I wasn't supposed to be braking
nearly that hard there."  :-)  I was slowing down too much, and in a way I
wouldn't have realized for quite some time without having it pointed out.

This year Sam's helped me out a ton with advice or by sharing my car, or
whatever.  I can tell you with 100% certainty that its helped me immensly
(not that you would have noticed it at Harrisburg, mind you).  In my mind,
if you want to foster national drivers you have to have a way for your
best drivers to ride with each other and folks coming up (assuming they
want to, of course).  After all, why do you think the McKamey school is so
successfull?

Mark

ps.  A really good way to get a national caliber / better driver to help
you is to have them codrive your car.  Don't charge 'em for it or for tire
wear or whatever.  Tell them they can pay you back by helping you get
better. And if you're gonna do it, get GEEZ! so that you have another way
to see what they're doing differently than you.