Re: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 10:45:22 -0400
I am afraid that any reasonably competitive SCCA group will not let you
ride or drive with another participant in the car with the possible
exception of fun runs. It is too damn bad.

If you want to get some good incar instruction and even go for a ride
with the instructors on every run join the PCA - well at least most PCA
regions encourage this practice.

For me I didn't have a clue until I attended the SFR Solo II driving
school. And after spending the night before listening to Barry Goldine
and Charlie Davis trying to explain what to do and spending the day
listening to David Colman tell me what I was doing wrong I still didn't
have a clue. Then I went for a ride with David in his 944 Turbo. Presto,
the light bulb went on and the rest is history. ;-)

>From that point on I never refused anybody a ride and I begged rides
from all the top drivers. Watching from outside the cockpit is very
deceptive unless your are a great observer or you already know what to
do. Watching from inside is a whole different story.

Paul Foster

BTW, I did nearly 100 autocrosses in a little over 3 years in the SF
area. The Solo II program was so large there were often 12-15 people in
my class so I had a ladder to climb. NCSSC provided more seat time. And
if that wasn't enough PCA had a large schedule as well.