Re: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring Class

To: <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>, "Deanne" <deanne@surfree.com>
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring Class
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 15:31:08 -0500
>Superchargers are special, as they are proportional to engine RPM, and
so can't
>make the big boost numbers that turbos can. Even the aftermarket
Vortech stuff
>makes like 3-8 PSI
>
>What's the most boost anyone has ever run in one of those cars? Be
honest...
========================
Please keep in mind when considering boost numbers that aftermarket
blowers "only" add 3-8 PSI because they are designed to be installed on
higher compression ratio engines.  Factory turbo cars, and factory
supercharged cars also, have lower compression ratios and therefore can
and need to run higher numeric boost numbers to make power.

Those same 3-8 psi Vortech, Paxton, Eaton, etc aftermarket superchargers
can be made to force up to 15 psi into an engine with just a simple
pulley change.  Try that with a turbo!!!  But, a stock high compression
ratio engine will likely only last a couple 1/4 mile blasts, if that
many, with that much extra boost forced into it's cylinders.

So, boost numbers in and of themselves aren't the final determinant in
the power equation.  There are too many variables to simply state that a
factory turboed motor with 15 psi makes more power than an aftermarket
supercharged motor with 6 psi of boost.

Otherwise I kinda like the SST idea.  Anything that brings more car guys
and gals into our sport is a good thing.  Even if it means creating more
classes.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

Patrick Henry:
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone
who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it
but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."

Benjamin Franklin:
"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."