Re: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring Class

To: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring Class
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 14:34:54 -0700
dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:

> The problem here is that turbos aren't additive, they're multipliers. 2litres
>at
> 2 atmospheres is a 4litre car(on boost, so it's not directly equal). 4l at
>2bar
> is an _8litre_ car - not fair, lag or no lag! (unless you slap it with a
>MASSIVE
> weight penalty)

        Is that really the factor there? I somehow doubt it, that's overly
simplistic and I don't think it works. SO a 2L motor at 1bar is still
2L? No way. That's still -way- more manifold pressure than a normally
aspirated car.

> The biggest displacement turbo car should ideally be making the same or
>slightly
> more peak power than the biggest displacement N/A car at the same weight.

        Yes, I agree.

> > Consider turbo-charged M3's.
>
> What's an M3 weigh, and what's its displacement?

3000lbs and 3.0L (or 3.2L for the newer motors)

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/