RE: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring Class

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring Class
From: NASA-VA Jon Felton <nasa-va@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 19:02:25 -0400
I read with keen interest Mr. Grant's proposal regarding
the new SST class.  I applaud his effort to bring the
"new school" of hot-rodding into the "old school"
autocross world.

However, I would like to raise the issue that more
favorable car classing isn't necessarily the ONLY (or
even the BEST) way to attract this particular crowd.  The
first problem is getting them out to events and getting
them to come back.  Until they are fast enough to win
any class, the class they're in doesn't really matter
to them or anyone else.

The biggest problem for my organization, as well as
several others I am aware of in the mid-Atlantic, has
been regularly attracting this crowd in general.  And my
particular organization is not an "old school" autocross
club either (2nd year in existence, 140 members and
growing weekly, average member age 29, average
car 4 years old).

Case in point: We picked up the local / regional "import
drag / car show" shop as a title autocross championship
sponsor this year, to the tune of half the site rental and
insurance fees.

The owner is a longtime recreational autocrosser in his
late thirties and a reasonably fast driver.  He knows how
fun it is, so he decided to sponsor our series with the
thought that he could get his import drag clientele more
involved.  He would sell more R-comp tires, more people
would autocross, and everyone would be happy.

Anyway, so far nearly none of his clients have come out.
And it's not because we don't advertise -  we drop 200 flyers
off at his shop a month before every event.  I even went
on the guy's cable access TV show (the highest rated
one in the area, supposedly) to hype one beforehand!

My personal opinion is that import draggers don't autocross
because it is very challenging - far more so than dragging.
On the drag strip, an 11-second street-driven turbo Integra
might be king.  The car's owner can use it to win money and
friends, influence people, and get hot dates.  But then the
owner might come out to autocross with it.  He will get
thrown into an M class and almost inevitably lose by 8
seconds (raw time) to someone in a STOCK Neon or
something else equally "uncool".  Then he will never
come back because he doesn't understand that seat
time is far more important than mods.  (That particular
rule doesn't apply as much in drag racing.)

In addition, there is always the issue of prejudice.  I once saw
a Tech Inspector asking the owner of an import drag Accord
why he put all that crap on the car when he didn't even know
how to drive it!!!  IF this sport is to grow into the future, we
CANNOT afford to make these people feel unwelcome,
regardless of our personal beliefs about import drag racing
or being a novice or anything else!

I sincerely applaud your effort.  However, I don't think that JUST
providing a favorable class will do the trick.  It might, however,
be just the place for some current autocrossers to play, with
converted "I class" cars - just as ST is turning out to be now.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Jon Felton, Director
National Auto Sport Association - Virginia Region
http://www.nasaproracing.com
Next Autocross: Sunday July 25 at Virginia Motorsports Park, Petersburg
VA -
the whole lot used for the you-know-what the other weekend, but turned
into one BIG, FAST COURSE - and all "import drag ricers" are invited!!!