Re: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring Class

To: "autocross list" <autox@autox.team.net>, <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring Class
From: "Brian Goodwin" <briang@adnc.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 14:31:44 -0700
IMHO, fantastic idea.  I have wanted to see such a change for a long long
time.  Current autocross class setup is irrelevant to the where the
technology, the money, the energy, and the youth, of the sports compact
scene is going.  Too many outdated classes raced by the same group of folks
who want their aging class structure to simply exist forever regardless of
the auto demographic changes going on in the rest of the world.  I don't
think it is too much to suggest that autocross can decide to be inclusive or
decide to linger in increasing obscurity.

I have taken the supercharger off my own Miata because racing it in MOD
against purpose built tube framed race cars was about as much fun as eating
sand.  I am delaying install of a new turbo because of my preference to stay
in CSP.  As a vendor I know all too well that there are many who simply
decide to stay away from autocross because the current class structure does
not welcome their turbo Miata, supercharged Civic, integra powered civic, or
turbo Neon, etc.  Too often I have convinced a young enthusiast to give
autocross a try only to hear of their disappointment later when they
discover that their modified street car was classified in mod where they
faced trailered custom race cars of more power and half the weight.

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing Supply
http://www.good-win-racing.com