Re: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring Class

To: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>, Jay Mitchell <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring Class
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 21:53:09 -0500
At 07:22 PM 6/30/99 , Joshua Hadler wrote:

>> I don't think this is _just_ about cost. It's also about whether a new
>> Category such as this can attract and retain its target market. If it's
>> a National class, I claim that experienced Solo competitors will take an
>> interest in it, and they'll use every allowance in the rules to optimize
>> a car for Solo II. At which point no drag-race setup will stand a
>> chance. And retention of the target market will suffer.
>
>       That's really my point as well. So we create a Super Duper Street
>Touring class. More likely than not the first year it makes it to Topeka
>will see an already nationally competitive hot-shoe walking away from
>the IHRA gang who thought this would be a fun gig. Result,
>disenfranchised new people not coming back to the big show. Sure a few
>people will step up to the plate to give it a go, and maybe there will
>be enough of them to make it happen. But somehow I doubt it.

I agree that if/when it becomes a national class, some top autox'ers will
prep cars that are significantly better than the average drag racer.
No doubt.

But I disagree that it will undermine the class.... as long as there is
a reasonable path by which the drag racers can upgrade their cars to be
similarly competitive.  Actually, you don't even need that -- they just
need to _believe_ there is a reasonable path.  Also, it needs to be the
case that they are not totally outclassed in their local events.

The average CSP car at Nationals is significantly better than my CSP
car.  In fact, many of them (the lightweight ones) do not even seem fair
competition for my big fat M3.  But I still come back... I am competitive
at local events... and if I get really good, then I know its possible to
prep my car such that it _is_ nationally competitive (thanks, Bob, for
proving that to be so); though, I don't think it would ever be the best
car in the class.  And there are many other avid autox'ers whose
cars have never been proven nationally competitive; but they are not
hopelessly outclassed at local events.

Afterall, since handling is not a high priority in a drag race, it is
fairly likely that much of the drag race crowd will soon want to do
some upgrades for autox'ing that they otherwise wouldn't have bothered
with.  And that is a _good_ thing!!

Cheers,

Brian