Re: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring Class

To: Jay Mitchell <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring Class
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 17:22:53 -0700
Jay Mitchell wrote:

> Joshua Hadler wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >How long do you think it'll be before someone really
> > -builds- a car for the class and walks away from everyone.
>
> That's the whole ball of wax. You've got to contemplate possible
> unintended consequences whenever you try to put together a new rules
> structure.

Or even a change or addition to an existing rule structure. But we've
been through enough of that for now...

> I believe that the intended market for this class is no
> different than the original market for ST. What should really be
> examined,therefore, is whether ST is accomplishing its original goals,
> BEFORE it becomes a National class with the built-in rules inertia that
> will create. If the typical riceboy drag racer has done things to his
> car which aren't allowed in ST, then I would suggest that revising the
> ST rules is likely to be far more productive than introducing yet
> another category in the Solo II rules.

        The problem I see here is that while the ST seems to cater to the IHRA
type cars, it does not cater to ALL of them. While just about any
rice-rocket that cruises the parking lots at the local drag strip has
cut springs, wider wheels, Type R badges, and a cone air filter. Very,
very few of them (statistically speaking) have dropped in VTEC motors,
or added superchargers, or other more exotic stuff. If ST is designed to
grab the IHRA/rice-rocket crowd, shouldn't we aim for the largest target
audience? If we create a class that caters to the more-money-than-brains
import hot rod fanatic, are we really aiming at a group that will swell
the ranks of the SCCA, or catering to a few nut-ball enthusiasts. Before
anyone gets offended, I consider anyone of us (autoxers that is) that
stands out in a hot parking lot all day long for four minutes of quick
driving to be nut-ball enthusiasts. But I think that the number of turbo
addition Hondas (or whatever) out there are actually quite low compared
to the more mundane suspension, muffler, wheels, and iceman-intake
crowd. Just my opinion though...

> > With the
> > virtually limitless modifications allowable in this "SST" class, you
> > have the potential for -rampant- costs to the competitor.
>
> I don't think this is _just_ about cost. It's also about whether a new
> Category such as this can attract and retain its target market. If it's
> a National class, I claim that experienced Solo competitors will take an
> interest in it, and they'll use every allowance in the rules to optimize
> a car for Solo II. At which point no drag-race setup will stand a
> chance. And retention of the target market will suffer.

        That's really my point as well. So we create a Super Duper Street
Touring class. More likely than not the first year it makes it to Topeka
will see an already nationally competitive hot-shoe walking away from
the IHRA gang who thought this would be a fun gig. Result,
disenfranchised new people not coming back to the big show. Sure a few
people will step up to the plate to give it a go, and maybe there will
be enough of them to make it happen. But somehow I doubt it.

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/