Re: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring Class

To: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring Class
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 23:44:39 -0600
Brian M Kennedy wrote:

> I agree that if/when it becomes a national class, some top autox'ers will
> prep cars that are significantly better than the average drag racer.
> No doubt.
>
> But I disagree that it will undermine the class.... as long as there is
> a reasonable path by which the drag racers can upgrade their cars to be
> similarly competitive.  Actually, you don't even need that -- they just
> need to _believe_ there is a reasonable path.  Also, it needs to be the
> case that they are not totally outclassed in their local events.

        That's just it. A -reasonable- path. I see Super Street Touring
ultimately becoming a mega buck class. I don't beleive that's what we
want. We shoudl be aiming at the enthusiast that's willing to invest in
their car, not the rice-burner Rockefellers. There are no where near as
many of them in number as there are the mundane tweakers. And somehow I
doubt that anyone with a 9s honda is going to want to alter their car
sufficiently to be competitive in autox. After all, they've poured a
small fortune into their car so they can rip off 9 second long races,
why invest again for a 50 second long one. The tuning and technology are
-not- the same.

> The average CSP car at Nationals is significantly better than my CSP
> car.  In fact, many of them (the lightweight ones) do not even seem fair
> competition for my big fat M3.  But I still come back... I am competitive
> at local events... and if I get really good, then I know its possible to
> prep my car such that it _is_ nationally competitive (thanks, Bob, for
> proving that to be so); though, I don't think it would ever be the best
> car in the class.  And there are many other avid autox'ers whose
> cars have never been proven nationally competitive; but they are not
> hopelessly outclassed at local events.

        I agree, like mine. But there is a path for my car to follow, and it's
not insanely expensive. But allowing engine transplants and turbo kits
is an expensive route to take, and few if any will have the financial
capabilities to take the plunge. Those that have already will make up a
rather small number I think.

        Show of hands, for those still reading this thread. If SST were
created, would you take it to nationals? Would you continue through a
few seasons of development to try and make it a class winning car?
Really, let me know. How many of you out there would do it? I know Gary
and Dennis and probably Richard would, anyone else?

> Afterall, since handling is not a high priority in a drag race, it is
> fairly likely that much of the drag race crowd will soon want to do
> some upgrades for autox'ing that they otherwise wouldn't have bothered
> with.  And that is a _good_ thing!!

        Either that, or say "why should I spend more money on my car to make it
turn right and left better when those same mods will likelt slow me down
on the 1/4 mile". Drag racers? Please prove me wrong. Would a
built-to-the-hilt autox monster with the same drivetrain fare as well as
the same car built for the 1/4 mile?

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/