Re: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring Class

To: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring Class
From: Jay Mitchell <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 16:35:18 -0700
Joshua Hadler wrote:

<snip>
>How long do you think it'll be before someone really
> -builds- a car for the class and walks away from everyone.

That's the whole ball of wax. You've got to contemplate possible
unintended consequences whenever you try to put together a new rules
structure. I believe that the intended market for this class is no
different than the original market for ST. What should really be
examined,therefore, is whether ST is accomplishing its original goals,
BEFORE it becomes a National class with the built-in rules inertia that
will create. If the typical riceboy drag racer has done things to his
car which aren't allowed in ST, then I would suggest that revising the
ST rules is likely to be far more productive than introducing yet
another category in the Solo II rules.

> With the
> virtually limitless modifications allowable in this "SST" class, you
> have the potential for -rampant- costs to the competitor.

I don't think this is _just_ about cost. It's also about whether a new
Category such as this can attract and retain its target market. If it's
a National class, I claim that experienced Solo competitors will take an
interest in it, and they'll use every allowance in the rules to optimize
a car for Solo II. At which point no drag-race setup will stand a
chance. And retention of the target market will suffer.

>         Don't get me wrong, I think that we need as much new blood as we can
> get. We'll always need that.

I wholeheartedly agree. I don't necessarily think that the primary
source of the required new blood is going to be import drag racers,
however. Sometimes the best marketing stratgey is to improve the
marketing of existing products rather than to invent new ones.

Jay