Re: Change of Tech Inspection

To: Alan Pozner <AlanP@identicard.com>
Subject: Re: Change of Tech Inspection
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 14:03:55 -0700

Mark Sirota wrote:

> What does the insurance policy have to say about this approach?
>
> Mark

        Exactly the issue. We all know that alot of the regular autoxer treat
their cars like temples. The slightest new sound or glitch is assaulted
with a fanatical zeal unmatched in the average daily driver's existence.
However, they are not the only cars in competition. The vast majority of
the cars that go through a regional event are daily drivers, and in many
regions a large number of them are relatively new drivers. Insurance is
the big issue.

        Having each car teched at the start of the day is a relatively simple
way to assure that simple things are not overlooked. Even for trailer
queens. What about the 'veteran' autoxer who was in a hurry the night
before to get their car ready for the event and forgot to torque the
lugs of one of the wheels. I don't know of many of us that -haven't-
experienced this at one time or another. This is a simple little thing
that could quite possibly get caught from a simple tech inspection. Or
what about a Mod car guy who was tinkering with his toy a few days ago
and forgot to reattach the throttle return spring, or the battery clamp.
The things we look for in tech are very basic, simple things that will
help -reduce- the risk to drivers and workers on course. Nothing we do
will prevent -all- mechanical failures. There's no way for us to know
that the hub on that neon has one more slalom in its life before it
fails. There's no way for us to know that CP Camaro isn't going to
detonate it's gearbox today or not. However, we can prevent the simple
things. Like a beer bottle stuck under the brake pedal in a mod car...
Yes, it's true...

        Even for trailer queens, a simple tech inspection in the morning will
help assure that trivial safety items are not overlooked. This is what
the safety program and tech inspection are about. And they both stem,
unfortunately so, from the basic requirements of insurance. I don't know
what SCCA's risk management has to say specifically on the issue, but
I'd be willing to bet money that they wouldn't be too pleased with just
an annual inspection.

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/