Re: Change of Tech Inspection

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Change of Tech Inspection
From: bruce haden <bhaden@ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 12:14:14 -0700
At 09:18 PM 8/1/99 -0400, Larry R. Metz wrote:
>This is not my original idea, but I think it has value....what do
>readers think?
>
>Why not have an annual Tech Inspection, rather than having to go thru
>the process every, every event?  Most of the serious drivers take very
>good care of their cars which would warrant saving worker time and
>effort and simplify event operations.  We could develop a little log
>book, to document events and checking etc......

I have a couple of problems with this:
    1. There are always a few people who would take advantage of such
a program and run a car that has problems that would otherwise keep
it in the pits. Granted, not that many, but it wouldn't take too many
"incedents" related to the above to cause us problems of many kinds.
    2. I have worked tech off and on for many years for my club and
it's surprising how many times we find a fairly major problem on one
of the "well maintained" cars owned by a "serious driver". In most
cases, the owner wasn't aware of it until pointed out at tech and
was thankful we did. Having to tech at every event keeps everyone
on their toes, and gives incentive to arrive a little early.
    3.Having worked tech as much as I have, I would say that even
at large events it isn't that hard to get everyone done, even though
it gets hectic occasionally. 200 entries are not unheard of in San
Diego and they always get through tech on time.