Re: Adjustable Swaybars - One or Both Ends?

To: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: Adjustable Swaybars - One or Both Ends?
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 11:43:31 -0400
Phil Ethier wrote:
> If a bar is asymmetrically adjusted in the manner implied in the
> original post, here is what would happen:  Assume that the lever arm
> on the left side is 9 inches.  Assume that the right end was stiffened
> by reducing the lever arm to 8 inches.  Say the suspension is to
> deflect three inches when we hit the speed bump.  Each end of the
> swaybar would theoretically move through the same arc having a chord
> distance of say three inches.

You make a good point but you're actually ignoring another factor (and I
don't know whether it would make matters better or worse).

The *suspension* would move three inches on both sides -- or rather,
let's say, the end of the drop link that's connected to the suspension
would move three inches -- same on both sides.

But the drop links are not dead vertical, or at least they're not BOTH
dead vertical -- so the chord distance of the other end of the drop link
is not necessarily the same three inches, nor is it necessarily linear!

Does this make matters better or worse?  I leave that as an exercise to
the reader.

Mark