RE: Adjustable Swaybars - One or Both Ends?

To: "'Jefrem Iwaniw'" <jiwaniw@iigo.com>
Subject: RE: Adjustable Swaybars - One or Both Ends?
From: "John Coffey" <johncof@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 14:01:34 -0700
Jefrem said:

> Except for the fact that this thought doesn't take into account the
> fact that most (all?) swaybars use a "lever" as part of their
> twisting/springing/load-transferring activity,

I thought that too, but swaybars transfer a given load (weight) based on
their spring rate.  In vehicle roll, where the inside of the vehicle rises
and the outside of the vehicle drops, the same load (weight) is being
transferred from one side to the other, regardless of lever arm length.
Think about a regular coil spring:  you get the same spring rate (load
transfer) whether you push directly on the top or the bottom or use a lever
to push on the top or the bottom.  A 100 lbs in gets you 100 lbs out.

Again, we are talking about vehicle roll only (not bump) and we are assuming
no preload on the swaybar.

John Coffey
johncof@ibm.net