Re: Hi New to the List

To: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Subject: Re: Hi New to the List
From: SunRider <SunRider@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 02:09:19 -0400
>Please trust me on this.  In the long run you'll be a much better & faster
>driver if you stay on your street tires for as long as possible whiole
>learning.  First you, and I for that matter, must learn to be smooth and
>then when the tires are actually holding you back should you switch to the
>sticky tires.

Well this was my line of thinking, I need another set of rims
for winter since the Miata is my only car. There are some decent
rims out there for what I can afford. I can use one set for winter
and in the next season put R compounds on them and have my street
set. I'm running Pilots right now and they aren't bad but they
don't give me the feedback that I'd like. I see your point about
going too fast tho.

>I know full well that I switched over too quickly and it greatly slowed my
>learning curve as the R tires tend to mask a lot of driving flaws.

I can see that and yet next year I'll probably have both available.
What do you think, should I wait for a couple of seasons to switch?

>Eh, you can always still save the money and buy the R tires (and spare
>wheels too) later.  Oh, another piece of advice.  You may want to seek out a
>set of used R tires as your first set since most of us tend to destroy our
>first set rather quickly.  Well at least I did since I had that sudden
>feeling of invulnerability with the R tires.  "HAH!!  I have race tires that
>have UNLIMITED grip!!"  Which they do not BTW.  :^(

I need the extra wheels anyway, so I'll be able to get R compounds
that fit. I haven't seen any used but they are probably out there.
How did you ruin your first R tires too agressive on them?
Thanks for the advice Eric.

Steve Bernard
Mass Miata Club
Red '99 Miata - Sport Package (B-Stock)