Re: Hi New to the List

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hi New to the List
From: "Brad Cox" <coxb@trimofran.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 09:14:31 -0500
As a rookie on sorry tires myself, I've done about 8 events and $25 tires
definitely force you to take a smooth line.  But, the area (for me) where I
need the most improvement, and can gain the most time (in my case) is the
transition from throttle to brake.  It seems like I'm always getting off the
throttle to soon and braking too early, along with a lot of coasting in
between.  Even with cheap tires you can slow down QUITE well, as long as
you're going straight.  At the last autocross I watched a particular hard
right turn at the end of a long fast section.  The fast guys were getting on
the brakes 30-40 feet later than many others.  I marked the spot where they
hit the brakes, and tried it myself.  the first time through I kept it
floored (slow car) until that point, then slammed on the brakes.  I thought
I was overcooked, but I got slowed down and made it.  Probably made almost a
second right there.  Anyway, just pointing out a specific area that helped
me out.  Have fun!

brad