Re: Hi New to the List

To: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>, autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hi New to the List
From: "Bill Ozinga" <oz@tirerack.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 13:46:26 -0500
>From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
>Subject: Re: Hi New to the List

> The hubcentric rings are used to center the wheel on the
> hub, not critical since most/all cars now use lugcentric wheels.  These
> "cnc machined" rings are made of plastic, by the way.

All modern cars use hubcentric wheels. It's a far more accurate way to
locate the wheel on the hub, which reduces vibration. The load is also
distributed over a greater area for increased strength.

Most high quality aftermarket wheels use metal rings, not plastic. The
plastic ones I've seen aren't made with a high enough degree of accuracy to
really do much to eliminate vibrations on some cars.

Bill Ozinga - webmaster@tirerack.com
Webmaster - The Tire Rack
http://www.tirerack.com
Ph.(888)541-1777 or (219)287-2345