Re: Cooling Intercoolers on Grid

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cooling Intercoolers on Grid
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 17:10:13 -0400
Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net> wrote:

> An interesting point came up on the RX7 list - the use of pressurized
> CO2 to cool intercoolers on grid. Are people doing this at SCCA events
> now? Will there be people doing it in Topeka next month?

I really don't think it's worth it, most intercoolers don't have much mass to
them to hold the cold, so it's warmed back up again by the time you get to the
start line.

Conversely, the I/C gets pretty hot while running, but it doesn't have much mass
to hold the heat, so it's cooled down again by the time you get to the start
line.

If you were planning on spraying the I/C, I'd use good old ice water. It'll
cling to the fins for a little bit, and extract more heat by evaporating. Might
be worth a whole hundredth on a Nationals course.

DG