RE: Hi New to the List

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Subject: RE: Hi New to the List
From: SunRider <SunRider@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 22:31:46 -0400
>:-)  I destroyed my first set of R1's in one weekend (incorrect toe
>setting and stupid right foot) when I started last year in June or so.

Hi Mark, is that a record? :) You must have really been eating
the track to burn up a set of tires in a weekend.
Was teh toe setting off by that much?

>Since then I think I've gone through 2.5 sets of rears and 6 or 7 sets of
>fronts.  I autox'd once before I bought race tires.  My philosphy was to

So are you by any chance related to the Andretti family? :)
I can't see cooking tires that fast at least not on an
auto-x course.

>get the car setup and then learn to drive it.  I personally don't think
>staying with street tires will teach you anything other than how to deal
>with having a handicap.  Perhaps it'll make you better in the long run if

Well I do see the point that many have made, you need to be smooth
in your driving or you will eat up tires left and right.
I think if I can smooth up a bit the R tires will last longer and then
I'll not only notice a benefit but I'll have a set of tires taht will
last a whole season.

>you have weak competion and you're motivated to try to beat them with
>inferior tires, but in my situation I have plenty of good competition on
>race rubber.

Yep, I do see your point as well but I can't afford to buy a set of
Kuhmo's except once a year or so. I've heard a lot of good stuff about
the Toyo T1-S that might be a way to go as well. I can't catch the
R tires with street tires unless I am very good but the guys running
street tires that are very good and smooth could beat me even if
I was using R tires.

>YMMV, etc. etc. etc.  I'd get the race tires sooner rather than later.  If
>you don't want to deal with a super sharp traction edge, run Kumho's.
>Actually, run Kumho's either way if they make 'em in your size.  If you

They do make the Kuhmo's in my size and I'll probably run those.
They seem to be the R tire of choice for Miatas's now that the
BFG's aren't made any longer.

>need a 225/14, suffer along with high tire costs and high tire wear just
>like the rest of us fwd G-Force folks.

Actually I would use a 205/50/15" so that isn't a problem for me.
Thanks for your insight Mark, I appreciate it.

Steve Bernard
Mass Miata Club
Red '99 Miata - Sport Package (B-Stock)

mailto:SunRider@Worldnet.att.net