Re: Hi New to the List

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hi New to the List
From: dan pedroza <beagleracing@mroad.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 08:25:25 -0500
>Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 15:27:58 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: Hi New to the List
>Dunno about flatspotting as I have ABS; this
>particular size is very light (18 lbs) so it might be
>prone to locking up.  For $67 apiece the bang for buck
>is unbeatable.  It could even be a sleeper Street
>Touring tire...check out
><http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/oldies_rd.htm>
>for RE71 track results vs. the SP8000 and AVSi.
>
>Toyo T1-S are supposed to be fabulous but they're a
>lot pricier.

Now I'm not sure i'd agree with you here.  They're not more expensive than
the previous T1 and these new T1-S seem to be ALOT grippier and are 15%
lighter than the T1.  As for grippiness comparisons with the RE71s, the
T1-S would win hands down.  I drove a bone stock '94M in X at the last
autocross and was running raw times only a second or a second and a half
off the BSers.  my fastest raw time ont he T1s was a 43.4 vs. my fastest
raw Kumho time of 42.2.  Winning time was 41.9.  The Toyos stick baby!
Tell ya what, Craig-O, we'll have a street tire competition with your RE71s
vs. my 215/40/16 T1-S   O:)

>>I was told I should shave the R compounds as they
>will chunk
>>esp. the Kuhmo's but that's why I'm here to learn. :)
>
>naah...Kumhos won't chunk on a Miata even in Texas in
>summer.  ('less you're road racing...)  They *will*
>flatspot, however, as our class winner last Sunday
>found to her chagrin...

Oh, my Kumhos chunked at Palmer Auditorium, which is probably an exception
to the normal autocross surface rule.

dan pedroza
the M road
http://www.mroad.com