Re: Hi New to the List

To: "Brad Cox" <coxb@trimofran.org>
Subject: Re: Hi New to the List
From: SunRider <SunRider@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 00:39:42 -0400
>As a rookie on sorry tires myself, I've done about 8 events and $25 tires
>definitely force you to take a smooth line.  But, the area (for me) where I
>need the most improvement, and can gain the most time (in my case) is the
>transition from throttle to brake.  It seems like I'm always getting off the

Hi Brad, Yep, I agree with you there, it's a problem area for me.

>throttle to soon and braking too early, along with a lot of coasting in
>between.  Even with cheap tires you can slow down QUITE well, as long as

I get off the throttle too late and hard on the brakes which
isn't bad but it's not at the right time.

>you're going straight.  At the last autocross I watched a particular hard
>right turn at the end of a long fast section.  The fast guys were getting on
>the brakes 30-40 feet later than many others.  I marked the spot where they
>hit the brakes, and tried it myself.  the first time through I kept it

I do similar stuff it helps being a Corner worker. :)

>floored (slow car) until that point, then slammed on the brakes.  I thought
>I was overcooked, but I got slowed down and made it.  Probably made almost a
>second right there.  Anyway, just pointing out a specific area that helped
>me out.  Have fun!

Thanks Brad, I see what you mean it's when I'm out there
in the Seat that it all gels together. I'd love to mount a Camcorder
to the car so I could see my mistakes and where I screwed up.
But most of the time I know I did it wrong. The events I've
been to a very tight and technical so maybe a faster course less
turns would make a difference?
Thanks for sharing that with me.

Steve Bernard
Mass Miata Club