RE: Hi New to the List

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Hi New to the List
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 09:21:54 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999, SunRider wrote:
> >:-)  I destroyed my first set of R1's in one weekend (incorrect toe
> >setting and stupid right foot) when I started last year in June or so.
>
> Hi Mark, is that a record? :) You must have really been eating
> the track to burn up a set of tires in a weekend.
> Was teh toe setting off by that much?

I dunno if its a record.  I used to race motorcycles, so I had a record of
destroying equipment to back up... :-)  The toe setting was 3/4" out,
along with -2 deg camber and a heavy right foot.  Corded the inside edge.
I think the term to use was "sucking out on course"... :-)

> >Since then I think I've gone through 2.5 sets of rears and 6 or 7 sets of
> >fronts.  I autox'd once before I bought race tires.  My philosphy was to
>
> So are you by any chance related to the Andretti family? :)
> I can't see cooking tires that fast at least not on an
> auto-x course.

Well, I do a fair number of events and often have a co-driver.  And I use
G-Forces and I drive fairly rough.

> Well I do see the point that many have made, you need to be smooth
> in your driving or you will eat up tires left and right.
> I think if I can smooth up a bit the R tires will last longer and then
> I'll not only notice a benefit but I'll have a set of tires taht will
> last a whole season.

I've never heard of anyone running winning national times that gets that
kinda life outta their tires in the stock and sp class (not that I run
winning national times by any means).  If you're gonna run the R tires,
you might wanna plan on at least two sets a year and that'll only work
with Kumhos and Toyo's from what I've heard.

That all said, as long as you're having fun, do what you need to.  Right
now, I'm willing to spend the money for the sticky rubber because its
worth it to me to know that the car is always perfectly capable of
winning.

Mark