Re: Spokes: Re: Big Swaybar Woes...

To: Ghsharp@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spokes: Re: Big Swaybar Woes...
From: TeamZ3@aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 12:33:26 EDT
 Ghsharp@aol.com writes:

<< The allowance for drilling of holes for mounting bolts implies that you're
not
 required to use the stock brackets if you don't want to, that additional
 mounting brackets_can_be used if you so desire.  I'm not sure I'd try to
 bolt another bracket directly to the existing one, as you're getting into a
 gray area again rules-wise.>>

I'm not sure we're all on the same page about which *brackets we're
discussing.  On certain Mazda's there is the swaybar bushing housing bracket;
the bracket that holds the D-shaped pivot bushing, and there's also a frame
extension bracket that the bushing bracket mounts too.  My assumption is that
GH is discussing the bushing brackets only.

I looked at this extensively when I owned a 1993 RX-7TT that would break the
frame  extension brackets.  My conclusion was that the frame mounting bracket
is a separate part from the swaybar bushing bracket.  As such, it would not
be Stock class legal to modify, remove, or replace the frame extension
bracket except to drill new swaybar mounting holes in it.

 <>

Again, I think you'd be on very shaky ground to remove, modify, or replace
the structural frame extension brackets on these cars.  An aftermarket bar
would have to work with the existing structural support brackets or around
them.  I think a competitor could make a very sound argument that these are
frame structural brackets, not a part of the swaybar system allowances, and
most likely win a protest.  The fact that these structural brackets are
flimsy, tack welded, and break when used with an allowable non-stock swaybar
is inconsequential to the letter & intent of the Stock class rules.  Besides,
they're fairly cheap.  Just buy several to keep on hand and inspect often.

M Sipe