Re: Spokes: Re: Big Swaybar Woes...

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spokes: Re: Big Swaybar Woes...
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 11:37:54 EDT
To keep this short I did not copy anything.

The "problem" is the sway bar brackets breaking on the frame. Well, the way
the rule reads in the book, you can use ANY means to attach a new sway bar to
the car. The limitation being it can't be a frame brace, and it most only be
bolted to the car. They even allow new holes to be drilled.

There is nothing in the rules to stop you from welding up a 1/4 inch plate
steel bracket (separate one for each side) and through bolting them to the
frame with backup plates so they don't tear through. If you are seriously
worried about the stock brackets being part of the frame, then make the new
ones to bolt around the stock ones. I have not looked at the stock mounts in
a while, but it should be possible to do this. Adding extra plates around the
stock mounts that only bolt on would also fit in the letter and spirit of
this rule. The rule is there to let you balance the handling with front end
roll stiffness, and not to tear the front mounts off, that is a safety
concern. The rule even allows you to put a bar where there was none before,
so go ahead and brace the mounts. As long as they don't go across the car to
stiffen the frame, you should have no trouble with a protest.

Gary M.