Re: Spokes: Re: Big Swaybar Woes...

To: TeamZ3@aol.com
Subject: Re: Spokes: Re: Big Swaybar Woes...
From: Bob Klingler <bklingler@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 19:07:12 -0600
Mark,GH,

Regardless of what name we give the sway bar mounts, we all realize they
will need replacement.  Would you also argue that each time these
separate sheet metal parts are replaced with factory replacement parts,
they also have to be tack welded?  My presumption is that Mazda used the
tack welds for production purposes, and then bolted the mount in place
for strength.

As you probably both know from experience, if the tack welded part
breaks at an event, cutting that tack weld can be a genuine pain, and
re-tacking is structurally unnecessary.  Those replacement parts are
provided without replacement instructions, and it is not obvious that
welding was even intended.  (Holes are not provided.)

Finally, would it be legal to just weld up the cracks, as long as there
is no intention of improving the strength?  Obviously the annealed area
will be at a strength deficit.

BK