Re: Safety Steward Nick Name

To: mattm@optonline.net, pfoster@gdi.net, rocky@tri.net
Subject: Re: Safety Steward Nick Name
From: Pat MacAvoy <patmac@tridelta.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 15:13:50 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
>
> I, too, wondered why the term safety nazi would be offensive. I've heard it
> many times as a poke-in-fun at the "cop" (which a safety steward necessarily
> must be in a sense), especially for the overzealous one.
>
> Then it hit me ... what if the safety steward himself was Jewish? Now
> suddenly it is heard with a much darker meaning, quite unintended but there
> nevertheless.

Not to pick on Rocky, but I don't find it hard to believe someone could be
  offended.  Making any demographic the target of attempted genocide could
  make for some hard feelings.  Any reference to that time and situation
  could bring up those feelings.

Heck, from what I've heard, southerners still have feelings about the
  civil war, and that wasn't as bad (from what I've heard) and it was a
  lot longer ago.

pat(raised roman catholic; now non-denominational)mac
Pat MacAvoy
a.k.a. konekiller@tridelta.com
88 CS 924S-SE (CS gun)
86 944 Luxobarge