Re: The 'New' G Stock?

To: "Joe Goeke" <buttheat@hotmail.com>, <Andrew_Bettencourt@kingston.com>,
Subject: Re: The 'New' G Stock?
From: "Ron Bauer" <ronbauer@aa.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 11:56:51 -0700
With all due respect to you Joe, I still fail to see the point of moving
everything around.  I of course am a quite in the middle of this whole GS
thing, but the class seems to have more than one car that are competitive
and capable of winning.  I think the Type R and DSM's are competitive
against each other as was shown when I borrowed a Type R in Evansville and
came in 2nd to Daniel Ledford in his DSM.

There are many classes where there is only ONE car to have if you want any
chance to win.  BS and DS both have only one car that normally competes.
Now I'll agree that DS probably has more than Neon's, but because of the
contingency involved, most of the good drivers are in the Neons.

Besides, we only need to look back to last year in GS to see that things
aren't all that different.  At the beginning of the year, it was widely
accepted that the car that won most of the time was the MX6, with the Camaro
being competitive also.  Look there, 2 cars are the ones that are
competitive.  You and I then came into the mix with the A4, and with the way
we were driving the A4 won just about everything we entered.  How much of
that was car and how much was driver we don't know.  Then, the DSMs started
showing up and winning.  As you and I both know, we were now at a big
disadvantage because of our weight.  We could no longer keep up at altitude.
We could still keep up on some courses, but not all.  I was just as bothered
as anyone when the Type R was classed as late as it was last year.  I was
upset because of the potential of the car as well as it being too late to do
anything about it, such as switch cars.

I obviously did see the potential of the Type R and was able to get a
co-drive in one for this year and I've done very well.  Obviously the Pax
factor will probably change for next year, and yes GS is probably a bit
faster than it has been in the past, but I just don't see any point in
breaking it up when there is more than one car that is competitive.

Both cars may be faster than the rest of GS, but there cannot and will not
be a point where there are a large number of cars that will be competitive
against each other on every course in a class.  I realize AS has more than
two cars that can be competitive, but at this point, it's really only two
manufacturers...... ;-)

A couple of people have brought this up, but it seems to me that GS has been
redefined, and other than maybe changing the Pax factor for next year, I
don't see the point in moving things around.

Ron Bauer
'98 Acura Integra Type R
Team Butt Heat