Megabuck cars, was: AP as viewed from fourth place

To: "Autox List" <Autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Megabuck cars, was: AP as viewed from fourth place
From: "Cliff Loh" <cliff_loh@infoserve.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 14:48:52 -0700
From: "Jeff Winchell" <Jeff@Winchell.Com>

>I agree that megabucks cars shouldn't be allowed to dominate an
amateur
>sport such as autocross. The Porsche Factory Works RSR 3.8 911 is a
>good example of such a car.

Hmm interesting comment.  While it is true that one of the core values
of Solo2 is "economical competition", just how would you write the
rules such that a car would be excluded simply because it was too
expensive?  If the car is otherwise legal for GT competition, then
obviously the SCCA deems the technology in that vehicle is not as
exotic as everyone seems to imply.  Yeah, it has the onboard jacks,
the digital instrumentation etc., etc., but it's still acceptable to
SCCA as a competition car.  It's just that the Porsche factory charges
a lot for the car.  Could Greg Fordahl have built a similar car for
less money?  Probably, but not for much less.

When the Phantom first crushed the rest of A-Mod, (by 5.6 seconds)
Everyone was saying. "You can't bring a car like that into Solo2".
There was even a proposal to create another Super Mod class.  The
situation is IMHO, identical to the current reaction over Fordahl's
RSR 3.8.  The Phantom is actually quite basic in its technological
make-up.  It cost a lot to build and develop.  The actual figure is
somewhere approaching six figures.  Many would argue that this is
acceptable in A-Mod since it's Solo2's "unlimited" class.  However, I
don't think the rest of the A-Mod competitors would agree with you.
I'm pretty sure it's cost a bunch for Craig Nagler to do his M3
(probably six-figures too).  Every once in a while, the creep of
technology takes a jump.

Everyone agrees that to win at a national level you prepare a car to
the limits the rules allow.  That philosophy does not always mesh with
economical competition.  This is after all, the Solo2 National
Championships and NOT the Grassroots Motorsports $1500 challenge.
Both have their place, but to expect similar results is not possible.
How much is the title "National Champion" worth to you?

-c.
Cliff Loh, Vancouver, B.C. CANADA
"I started out with nothing & still have most of it left."
cliff_loh@infoserve.net,
inbred_hick@yahoo.com (alternate)