Re: ST tire options

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ST tire options
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 16:39:58 -0500

Steve Couture wrote:

> Now you have me confused.  Where did all this "the car" stuff come from?
> This thread is about tires.  You were whining and moaning about how a spec
> tire should be selected for the ST classes to remove the competitive
> variablilty different tire brands introduce to the street tire classes.
> You then used DS as an example of a class where everyone uses the same
> tire, setups, etc.
>
> I was simply trying to point out that your generalization about DS simply
> isn't true.  Even in a class dominated by a single car model there are a
> lot of variations in the things you mentioned.  That was my point.  Sorry
> you missed it.

Oh, nevermind.  This is straying way too far off topic for me.

> Now back to the topic of tires.  If you truely feel that a spec tire is
> needed to make the ST classes fair, how can you make a statement like, "as
> far as I'm concerned, any of the big-3 are the same tire" (refering to the
> BFG, Hoosier, and Kumho R-tires I presume) and expect to be taken
> seriously?

I qualified my statement about the big-3 being equal.  Sorry you missed
it.

> To make that statment while arguing that certain brands of
> street tires may provide enough competitive advantage in ST that they need
> to be legislated seems hypocritical to me.

The major issues with certain tires in ST are cost and availability.
If, for instance, the Pilot SX were available in sizes to fit all of the
eligible cars in ST, then the only issue would be cost.  As I've said
several times in this discussion (sorry you missed it), I could forego
the cost issue much easier than the availability issue.

> Taking the spec-tire argument to another extreme, I can see where even a
> spec tire isn't fair since it will favor the driver who's driving style or
> vehicle most closely matches the capability of that particular tire.

True, this is why my preference would be several permissible tire models
rather than a single spec tire.  I do so tire of repeating myself.

> Or is
> this just "semantics" to you?

No, semantics is quibbling over my statement about the equality of the
big 3 R-tire brands.

> I very srongly believe it should be up
> to the individual to determine what tire or tire size (within the
> established rules) is the best one for their particular car, driving
> style, setup, conditions, etc.

As long as the rules allow each driver to have similarly competitive
tires, I concur.  I'm not certain that the ST rules as written offer
this equality.

> When it comes to tires I am most definately pro-choice!  And you can
> extend that position to cover the whole R vs. street tire debate. (But not
> necessarily to any other issue... let's not go there!)

No, let's stay really far away from there.

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://home.kscable.com/shad
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca