Re: Megabuck cars, was: AP as viewed from fourth place

To: "Autox List" <Autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Megabuck cars, was: AP as viewed from fourth place
From: "Cliff Loh" <cliff_loh@infoserve.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 14:50:30 -0700
From: "Jeff Winchell" <Jeff@Winchell.Com>

>And it is also good that some classes are designed to be won by cars
>costing 10,000, and that you can't effectively spend more than that.

You are kidding yourself if you think anyone can buy/build and develop
a Nationals winning car for $10K.  You gotta factor in the cost of
modifications (even in Stock) and tires.  Maybe it can be done in FM
or F125 but then there's towing costs associated with those classes.
Costs for any kind of motorsport program must include all the other
items beyond simply the vehicle.

Also, getting to Nationals is in itself a costly venture.  There's
towing, hotels and other expenses like Tour and Pro entry fees or the
events you _must_ run in order to develop the car for Topeka.  You
simply cannot show up at Nationals and expect to run an untested car
and win.  Even hiring Mark Daddio as a driver won't help you.

If cost effectiveness is a requirement for a certain class, then the
only way to achieve this is to run a spec class using a single
supplier for vehicles and components.  Still that doesn't take into
account that travel costs are different for everyone.

-c.
Cliff Loh, Vancouver, B.C. CANADA
"I started out with nothing & still have most of it left."
cliff_loh@infoserve.net,
inbred_hick@yahoo.com (alternate)