Re: Autocross Timing/Scoring Software

To: "Eric W Clements" <ewc4@juno.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Autocross Timing/Scoring Software
From: "Steve Ashcraft" <ashcraft2@home.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 18:16:21 -0400
Interesting position. I'm sorry that you've had such bad luck with
computers. The technology has advanced a great deal in the last few years
and maybe you should take another look. There are several good packages on
the market. I wrote one for our region that seems to be as reliable as the
standalone variety -- the cabling and connectors are the big problems in
both cases. I would expect that someone selling a commercial system would be
able to solve those problems.  I'd like to hear what kind of problems you
experienced that generated the 10 to 1 number in your response so that I can
make sure that the system that I put together is not susceptible to any of
them. I'm sure that the folks that are selling commercial systems would also
like to hear your experiences so that they could improve their products
also.  A software solution for timing makes timing equipment pretty cheap
compared to the standalone versions.  Just my $.02
Steve