Re: miata?????

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: miata?????
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 16:53:39 -0400
<<<CS has evolved into an 'affordable' sports car class.  N/A MR-2,
Fiero V6,
Porsche 924S, 944, 240Z, N/A RX-7 all can be had for well under $10K.
As these
cars age, it is necessary to 'freshen' the mix in order to give the
membership
viable choices that you don't have to scour bone yards for wear items.
The 1.6l
Miata fits the profile and the performance envelope without throwing a
ringer
into the class.  Judging by the amount of letters received, there are a
significant amount of these cars out there waiting to return to full
time solo
duty.  It is not the intent of the SCAC to set precedent of dissecting
classes
and moving older models around to fit somewhere.  This move was to keep
the
current CS alive and kicking.  That is it in a snapshot.>>>

Sounds like so much rationalization to me. Instead of trying to place
labels on the classes why not just class cars by relative times?
Besides, when the 1.6 Miata was in BS and these cars were in CS the
Miata was faster. How has this changed with time?

<<<As far as the C4 Corvette move, I would bet you a dollar that a move
like that
would kill what I consider to be the best stock class in Solo.  Those
cars are
to fast.  Hey, in a couple of years my RX-7 TT is gonna be a dinosaur.
Look at
all the high horsepower, high technology machinery coming out over the
next 24
months.  Should we then move the RX-7 to AS as well?  Then the C4's to
BS?  Of
course not.  The RX-7 will die the same death as other cars, however
slow it has
been.  Personally, I think that the Vette's are coming on.  More Vette's
in the
top 10 this year than I can remember.>>>

Class the Dodge Viper in SS and then I might not look at this in such a
jaundiced manner.

Paul Foster