Re: miata?????

To: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Subject: Re: miata?????
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 14:42:31 -0700

Paul Foster wrote:

> I understand the rationale of trying to put cars in a class based on
> course dependencies, but I don't like it when people start putting
> labels on classes. IMHO that is why things got so screwed up for a
> while. A car should belong in a particular class because it turns
> comparable times regardless of course design, not because it is an
> affordable sports car. It shouldn't matter. What happens if a more
> expensive sports car comes along that would otherwise be ideal for CS?
> Does it have to run in AS because of it's sticker price???

I think the course dependancy issue is a very rational one. Cars that
turn comparable times AND are alike, should be classed together. I think
I would agree that is a new $40k car came out, and was a CS car
otherwise, it should be in CS.

> Before the 1.8L 'R' Miatas came along the 1.6L Miatas were dominating BS
> and they were faster than CS. How is that going to be different now?

First, the Miatas ran in CS. They dominated CS because no good driver
developed the MR2. I ran my MR2 against those Miatas since 1990. I did
my first alignment in 1995 (clueless? Yes...I had no idea an alignment,
swaybar, etc would help). 1 week after aligning the car, I ran against
those 1.6Miatas in CS and did very well. I think I beat Michael Butler
in that event and was the top ProSolo Club Qualifier and finished 2nd in
the challenge. And I was not a good driver yet. The car was much better
than I was. I knew that the MR2 could hang with the CS Miatas.

It was when the 1.8L Miatas came out, that I thought I had little chance
of being competitive in a normal event. ProSolos help the MR2 because of
the launch.

> Sounds like CS is doing pretty well without an apparent overdog. It just
> looks to me like Miatae will now be winning 2 classes instead of 1.
> Looks like another Neon deal from my perspective...

I really doubt the 1.6L will now win in CS. And CS is not as well
subscribed as I would like it to be. Chuck may have been somewhat right
2 years ago when he said it would not be well subscribed.

I won't debate the Neonesqueness of it, but I think it make sense to try
to find a place for the 1.6L Miatas to play, if they don't rule that new
class. I don't think they will, except perhaps locally. Since so many
people are selling their CS MR2s, maybe I am out to lunch though.

Randy Chase