Re: No More Smog Testing in Florida!

To: "Matt Murray" <mattm@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: No More Smog Testing in Florida!
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 22:28:50 -0500
From: Matt Murray <mattm@optonline.net>

>The Insight is a three cylinder motor that has electric assist. Not very
>fast or powerful.

One of the guys in MAC has one, but I don't think he has autocrossed it.  I
think I would build a car with this method of operation.

>The hot hybrid should be the Toyota Prius. Electric
>powered with gas assist. It can get out of its own way. It won't lay down
>two lines of rubber. Probably the direction that most hybrids will head to,
>design wise.

I think full-time electric with part-time IC engine to keep a reasonable
battery load charged is the way to go.  Why do you think diesel trains run
on electric motors?  No clutch hassle.  Electric motors have lots of torque
at stall.  If you have a little IC engine to keep the batteries charged, you
don't need a ton of batteries to haul around.  You also don't need the
engine idling all the time in stop-and-go traffic.  Also, you can
investigate ideas like the motor in each wheel.  AWD with no driveshafts or
differentials.

Phil "running the gas engine in grid so I have a full charge for the launch"
Ethier
Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban
"If I can do it, it's not art"  - Red Green