Re: the whole NT/participation thing

To: "Erik Van-der-Mey" <autox@webcentrix.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: the whole NT/participation thing
From: "Rick Brown" <free2000@quixnet.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:19:35 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: Erik Van-der-Mey <autox@webcentrix.net>

> >It's simple, I think. I think that there _should_ be some sort of
> >prerequisites involved in entering a national level Solo II event, and I
> >say that as one of the people who should NOT be there. I'm not going to
> >squall on about the bad elitist snob people keeping me out. There are a
> >bunch of us who don't belong at such an event. "Huh?" you say?
>
> All this banter about who is qualified and who is not is ignoring the
> issue of event math. The more entrants, the longer the day gets
> (running only one course). Event limits should be based on first
> come, first served. If you register too late, too bad.
>
> I posted earlier on this topic and I guess no one noticed...
>
> See subject: Solo Event Math (was: Solo participation too high?)
>
> Regards,

Sure, it takes more time to run more people, and there may be some limit (I
personally don't like assigning limits to things, it's too, ah, limiting).
But I'm also sure a lot can be done to run things more efficiently or
differently or ideas we haven't even thought of yet.  If you had 500 people
wanting to run a Tour you could possibly split it into 2 weekends, half the
people one weekend and half the other.  Not saying this is a good idea, just
an idea.  Humans (at least the visionary ones) tend to step up to solve
problems when necessary.  40 years ago, "experts" said we would be out of
oil in 20 years.  They didn't take into account the advancements in
technology that would allow us to tap additional oil. At the turn of the
previous century, "experts" predicted the world would go dark because we
would run out of whale oil to power lamps.  And no one solution will work
for all regions, we all have different issues, different sites, different
base of key people.  One of the good things about this forum is ideas get
thrown out, hashed out, stomped on, and sometimes event make it into
reality.  There will be times when limits are necessary, I just think it
should be the last choice.

Rick Brown