Re: Cone colors

To: "Glen E. Thompson" <glen.thompson@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Cone colors
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 21:59:35 -0500
Obviously, the responses you've received so far, Glen, have pretty
much covered the waterfront.  So I'll just tell you what we're doing
here in Red River Region.

A couple of years ago, we decided to buy some bright green standard
sized cones from Glenn (The Cone Man) Duensing.  We don't use them
very often but, when we do, they're certainly appreciated by both
novices and experienced autoxers.

I'll try some ASCII art here, and hope that it translates well for
everybody.

Let's say that you have one gate on the course that's entered twice
but you have to exit in a different direction each time:  (here comes
the ASCII art...)

o  o     o  o
 o  o   o  o
  o  o o  o
   o  O  o
    o   o
    o   o

That "O" among all the "o's" would be a green cone.  It helps you
remember when you see it ahead that you have to turn left one time and
right the next time.

Plus, in all this discussion about "apex" cones, I think what was
really meant was something like this:

o                    o
    o                   o
       o                   o
O       o     or             o
       o             O         o
    o                           o
o                                o

Where the "O" would be the "apex" (or, better named, pivot) cone in a
turn.  Those of us who have hit big, tall pivot cones in turns like
that know how much better it would have been (and how much less damage
it would have caused!) if the pivot cone had been bright green and
standard sized rather than big and tall!!  8<{)

Hope that helps.

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman