RE: hassled by The Man (was Re: Maps and window decals)

To: "'NASA-VA Operations Director Jon Felton'" <nasa-va@juno.com>,
Subject: RE: hassled by The Man (was Re: Maps and window decals)
From: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:40:10 -0500
 The entire train of cars was breaking the
law but only the racey-looking cars got tickets.
================================
Hey, at one ponit in history I was that person but in a silver VW Quantum
with the 2.2 liter Audi 5 cylinder engine.

There we were, buzzing along happily in a caravan of 4 cars at triple
digits.  4 lane highway, no traffic, no cross roads, perfect weather
conditions, good music on the radio, yadda yadda yadda.

I was the last guy in the line of cars and that was my mistake.  I looked in
the rear mirror occasionally and the last time that I checked it there was a
State Trooper RIGHT THERE on my butt.  Not a 1/4 mile back or still
approaching, but 20 feet back with lights spinning.

Damn.  I pulled over to take my medicine.  We chatted for a while and he was
very nice, but I still got the ticket.  He was kind enough to "just" write
me for 85 in a 65 zone.  He told me that he was doing over 120 to catch us.
He also asked if I had a good reason for driving so fast.  I said something
to the effect of "well, nothing that's gonna get me out of this ticket".  We
both chuckled, but I got the ticket.

I asked him why he pulled me, in my 4 door VW, over instead of the red
Porsche 944, the yellow Saab or the blue Corvette.

He asked if I'd ever been bird hunting.

"Yes" I answered.

"Well, when you flushed a whole bevy of birds how'd you know which one to
aim at?"  he asked.

"Oh, I get it.  The unlucky one, right?"

"Yup" he said.

3 points against my license but amazingly it was a cheaper fine that just 10
over in a residential zone a year earlier in Overland Park Kansas.

That was in January of 1990 and it was my last speeding ticket.  (Knock on
wood.)

Eric Linnhoff in KC
1998 Dodge Neon R/T
#69 DS    #13 TLS