RE: hassled by The Man (was Re: Maps and window decals)

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: hassled by The Man (was Re: Maps and window decals)
From: John Steczkowski <stecz@Crossroads.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 14:31:38 -0500
Ok, just to add to the muck...

Last Thanksgiving, my son and I were headed to San Antonio from Austin to
visit family (my wife and the rest of the kids had gone down earlier) (by
the way, I was in a Porsche). Anyway, I was on highway 281 with a line of
cars going about 80, my detector went off and I slowed down and moved into
the right lane, and all of the cars passed me. Over the hill came a
policeman, who proceeded to turn around and come up behind me in the right
lane and start to tailgate me. After a while, he flashed his hi-beams, so I
changed into the left lane to let him by (thinking, if the moron wants to
pass, why doesn't he change lanes). After I changed lanes, I see him
motioning to me to pull over, which I do.

I get out of the car and ask him what the deal is. He gets out beligerent
and asked "Didn't you see my lights?" I say "no". He say "huh", gets out
looks at the lights and says "oh". Now that he realizes that his overhead
lights aren't working, he's a little defused. He then says "Did you know in
Texas that you have to have a front license plate?" I reply "yes, did my
fall off or something?" I proceed to walk with the officer to the front of
the car and point at my front license plate. He laughs, shakes my hand, says
"Happy Thanksgiving" and we drive off.

It was pretty funny at the time. But the fact is, I feel like I was getting
hassled because I was driving a P-Car, especially, since he didn't make any
effort to catch any of the speeders.

----
John Steczkowski
Director of Engineering, Server I/O