Re: Stock class rules was (Re: Sequential Stock Classes)

To: Mike Lamfalusi <lamfalus@excite.com>
Subject: Re: Stock class rules was (Re: Sequential Stock Classes)
From: Iain Mannix <mannix@privateI.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 13:14:43 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Mike Lamfalusi wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Jul 2000 13:22:50 EDT, Ghsharp@aol.com wrote:
>
> >  cars
> >  that are already at the top of their class would have to be moved to a
> higher
> >  class.  How will this increase parity within the current classes?
> >
> >  GH
>
> A very good point.  Are there any cases where you think this to be true?
> Not debating, just asking as I can't immediately think of any.

An A1 VW could benefit from alignment allowances - and if the
Rabbit GTI goes to HS, I'd bet it would be at least a decent
car for the class.  Shimming the rear axle would be a Good Thing.
A really good thing.

Of course, if it is legal in Stock, it is legal in SP, and I would
LOVE to be able to align the rear wheels in the Rabbit/Scirocco.  We
can't.  That's OK.  We chose the car, we have to live with the
rear axle thing - some cars are better than others, and not all
cars will be 100% competitive.

Like everyone is saying(and like we discussed on the VW list), if
you start allowing "underdog" cars little things here and there a
great BIG mess is created.

GH is right.  You buy a car for it's strengths, you work around
it's weaknesses.  Some cars have more weaknesses than strengths,
which is a drag, but that's the way it is.

If you've not exploited the rules allowances as they sit, it is
REALLY hard to justify a class change/some concession to make
the car more competitive - Jason Saini is the first recent VW
driver to really try to make a VW win in stock(recent being
past few years, I've heard of that Bob guy) - and it is working.
His car probably won't _win_ at Nationals, but it is going one
heck of a lot faster than most people would expect.  The car
is not 100% done, either.  The VR6 has good torque, good camber,
OK wheel width, moderate weight(in class), no limited slip.

The TypeR has narrow wheels, good power, lousy torque, light,
limited slip.

DSM has narrow wheels, good power/torque, AWD, not so good
alignment(AFAIK).

They all match up pretty well, really.

Prepare the car, drive the car, and at the point where you can
_really_ say "I've got nothing left in the car in terms of
modifications," AND the car is being driven well, write a letter.

Dunno.  Classing is nightmarish, if you think about it - and while
a lot of these ideas are neat on paper, sound like they'd bring
some parity to the respective classes, as soon as someone wins
in the "wrong" car, it becomes an "overdog."  Sigh.

I think the SEB/SCAC does a great job with the stuff they
have to work with - 9 classes and a PILE of cars to consider.

Iain Mannix