Re: Stock class rules was (Re: Sequential Stock Classes)

To: Ghsharp@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stock class rules was (Re: Sequential Stock Classes)
From: Mike Lamfalusi <lamfalus@excite.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 13:27:11 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 7 Jul 2000 16:17:43 EDT, Ghsharp@aol.com wrote:

>  In a message dated 7/7/00 3:01:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>  lamfalus@excite.com writes:
>
>  GH Sharp wrote:
>  >> Alignment "adjustability" is just another thing you have to consider
if
>  >> you're trying to pick a certain car for a certain class.  It's one of
the
>  >> advantages or disadvantages that are part of the "package" you select,
>  >> and the classing of the car over a period of time will reflect that.
>  >> Your argument misses the fact
>  >> that there are some cars with minimum alignment adjustability that are
>  >> capable of winning their class at the National level.  If everyone was
>  >> allowed additional or unlimited adjustability on cars that don't have
it
>  now,
>  >> those cars that are already at the top of their class would have to be

>  moved
>  >> to a higher class.  How will this increase parity within the current
>  classes?
>  >>
>  >> GH
>
>  And Mike replied:
>  > A very good point.  Are there any cases where you think this to be
true?
>  > Not debating, just asking as I can't immediately think of any.
>
>  I'm glad you asked that question!  Let's take a look at AS:
>
>  BMW M3    ~1.0deg neg for '95's, ~0.6-0.7deg neg for '96+ (like my '98)
>  Porsche 968   over 2.0deg neg
>  Porsche 944S2  similar numbers to 968(?)
>  Toyota MR2T  over 2.0 deg neg
>  Porsche Boxster  ~0.6-0.7deg neg
>
>  The first four cars have each won several National events while running
>  against each other over the past 2-1/2 seasons, and the Boxster has
>  swapped wins with the 968 and MR2T this season.  This is with the same
>  group of drivers over 2-1/2 years and in most cases with everyone on the
>  same brand of tires, so there aren't many variables to argue about.  Now
>  give both the Boxster and the M3 2.0deg of negative camber.  Think that
>  might make them faster?  Think they should stay in their current class?
>
>  I'm sure there are other examples of this scenario, this just happens to
be
>  one I'm in the middle of......
>
>  GH

Okay, my next question would then be, is the suspension geometry of the M3
and Boxster better such that they don't benefit with more camber as much as
the other cars do?  Again, not arguing, just asking.  Eric pointed this
possibility out regarding the TypeR and its limited camber settings.

Mike Lamfalusi
'97 VW Jetta GLX
GS - Chicago Region

Say Bye to Slow Internet!