Re: Stock class rules was (Re: Sequential Stock Classes)

To: jcgz3@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Stock class rules was (Re: Sequential Stock Classes)
From: Ghsharp@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 17:01:17 EDT
In a message dated 7/7/00 4:26:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jcgz3@hotmail.com
writes:

> Camber gages are not that expensive, and the nat office could have one for
> checking at the NT's and Pro's.  Using a delta measure unit, calibration
> isn't an issue.  .  Heck, we have scales, why is this different?.

Well, for one thing we don't weigh every Stock class car in impound now.
Enough folks would want everyone checked that it would have to become
part of the routine.

> If a car
> is found to be out of spec, the looser could defend using another gauge,
> like their own maybe.  In any event, it's not that much different than
> measuring spring perch heights and the such that is done now.

Except spring perch heights don't change while you're on course.  If your
car has the capability of more camber than the spec allows, and your
alignment bolts come loose during your runs, how do you prove you were
legal on course when you get to impound?  Most people would have to
measure their car with the spec gauge before they ran, and probably allow
some leeway in case anything affected the alignment while they were
competing.  Of course if your spec is 1.5deg, we're going to toss anyone
who measures 1.501deg, right?  The rules now require that you have the
proper legal parts in the car, and whatever alignment setting you can obtain
with them is legal.  And the current classing of cars with crash bolts and
such takes this into account.

GH