Re: Fiero classing

To: "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>
Subject: Re: Fiero classing
From: Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 13:07:08 -0400
At 11:40 AM 7/13/00 -0500, George Ryan wrote:
>I could put a 5 speed in an 85 SE (one of which I currently own),  or GT
>V6 Fieros, or an  early 86 for that matter, but then i would have to run in
>CSP!!

Or you could race an 88 Formula (which is the best of the bunch).

>The Fiero has NEVER in the past decade trophied at the Nationals. Not to
>say National Champion, I am saying any trophy (except Tamandli - - but is
>that a Fiero?). And there have been some pretty good drivers campaign these
>cars.

I can tell ya this much.  I was teaching an Evolution school back in April
or May in Cincinnati.  For the life of me I can't remember the guys name
(Dennis I think) had a CS Fiero there.  I saw it and pre-judged it to be a
general pig.  After all, every other one I ever drove was a turd.  But,
this one was different.  The shocks were heavily revalved (a ton of rebound
in the front).  And it drove really, *really* well.  Does turn like an MR2.
 NO, but it's not far off, and it is quicker because of the V-6.  I told
him the car could trophy at Nationals.  He was shocked, but happy to hear
it.  :-)

Incidentally, almost all of the nasty-ass ill-handling habits the "car" had
were cured by the end of the two days.  He was just WAY OVERDRIVING (like
most folks).

>Can you say that about the MR2? Would that not indicate some sort of
>classing problem relative to this marque?

No and no.  There is no guarantee that a car is competitive.  I know that
REAL well.  I don't know if I agree with that 100%, but in this case the
Fiero can be.  It might take a certain one, but it also takes a certain MR2
(try it in an '86 MR2).

My $.02, and likely worth less.

Sam Strano Jr.
Strano Performance Parts