Re: Fiero classing

To: "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>, "Scott Meyers" <solo2@uswest.net>
Subject: Re: Fiero classing
From: "David Hawkins" <otgrouch@twosrus.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 14:48:24 -0500
>I could put a 5 speed in an 85 SE (one of which I currently own),  or GT
>V6 Fieros, or an  early 86 for that matter, but then i would have to run in
>CSP!!

Here we go again with the 'I' classing.  So by that logic, all pre 86 Fieros
with a V6 should be in one class due to the 4spd and the others in a
different class because of the 5spd?

>I do agree about the MR2, but the subject in Dan Morency's original letter
>was the 1.6 Miata. Run your numbers there, sir.

The 1.6 Miata numbers cream a BUNCH of car specs.  Run your Fiero
numbers against a MKI MR2....2400lb, 112HP, even less torque.  Still in
CS.

>The Fiero has NEVER in the past decade trophied at the Nationals. Not to
>say National Champion, I am saying any trophy (except Tamandli - - but is
>that a Fiero?). And there have been some pretty good drivers campaign these
>cars.

Sorry, but I think the Fiero, like most cars that have been extinct for over
decade (my beloved MKI MR2 included), is no longer a candidate for a top
driver's weapon of choice.  That's the nature of the game.

>Can you say that about the MR2?

I sure can!  When was the last time you saw an 86 MR2 in the trophies at
Nationals?

> Would that not indicate some sort of classing problem relative to this
marque?

No....it indicates that car is getting old, is sporty, and is
affordable...which is
what CS is supposed to be all about.

As for moving to CSP, I'll argue all day with you that the car has no place
there.
But then I'll argue all day that the MR2 doesn't either.

David Hawkins
86 MR2 CSP in pieces