Fw: Fiero classing

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Fiero classing
From: "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 08:31:18 -0500
A decade ago, the Fiero was fairly classed. Eckman et al did quite
well with this marque!!

Even when the car was moved to CS it was competitive, not trophy
material in Solo particularly, but competitive. (That is when I first got
involved with Solo). My kid (James Darden) did OK in an '88 Formula.
In S3 (as ProSolo called CS back then) the car was very competitive
because of it's launch.

When the Miata came aboard, - the original 1.6 -  then the Fiero lost
any competitiveness it had in the class, and it has been left in that class
since. Through growth, aging, and the addition of later model cars, the
Fiero (and others, but I am just talking this marque at the moment) kept
losing ground in the class. In some regions, with the talent pool available
in that class in that region, there are instances of a Fiero driver doing
well. But nationally - the best driver would not have a chance in this car
in this class. And some pretty good drivers have tried.

Sam is right with his anology that the '88 is more developed than the
earlier chassis, but they are an OK car too (In the SP trim, I think the
early chassis with the '88 cradle and rear suspension is an awesome
combo to field). My main classing gripe is the 4 cylinder - ES is not
even close to where this car needs to be.

 I am sure the Fiero is not the only car, but the SCCA needs to recognize
the value of the oldies. There are more of  us in this organization that do
not subscribe to the "car of the moment" theory of competition. If this
organization cannot understand that there needs to fair classing for every
single competitor, not just classes set up for the "car of the moment" and
the rest  (read "oldies") are fodder, then maybe it is time for a new
organization to pop up, with new rules and new classing structures.

> In a message dated 7/13/00 10:06:31 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> strano@stranoparts.com writes:
>
> << Or you could race an 88 Formula (which is the best of the bunch).
>
> The Fiero has NEVER in the past decade trophied at the Nationals. Not to
> say National Champion, I am saying any trophy (except Tamandli - - but
> is that a Fiero?). And there have been some pretty good drivers campaign
> these cars.