Ladies classes

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ladies classes
From: Jeff Cashmore <cashmo@spec-rx7.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 00:06:25 -0500
"...and that Ladies classes are a waste of time, at least at the
Regional level.  We have several ladies who compete regularly in our
region.  Only two of them are in the same class. (ESL)  The rest are
single car classes.  Bah!"

Solo 2 is a pretty big pond with many different kinds of fish in it.  We
range from serious, hard core Nationals type competitors to regional,
run-just-for-fun locals.  From stock 4 cyl econoboxes to highly modified
V8's.  Some regions have 250 entrants at a local event, some have 30.
Somehow, our poor little rule book has to work out for everyone.  I
would think that we need Ladies classes more on the regional level than
anywhere else.  Like it or not, the SCCA is a very family orientated
organization.  Ladies classes play a big role in membership recruiting.
Put a little mental asterisk next to the results if you want but the
fact is we wouldn't have as many ladies try our sport if we didn't have
them.

Regarding single car classes, I think most regions have plenty of them
in the open classes as well.  We handle these by putting all of them in
a 'combined' class and us one of the indexes to place them.  Season long
points are still calculated as if they were a single car class.  It's
not their fault no one else showed up in their class but at least now
they have someone to play with.
--
Jeff (3 more weekends til the off season) Cashmore