RE: Ladies classes

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Ladies classes
From: miket <miket@interaccess.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 00 10:54:41 -0500
I'm not sure why so many people feel so compassionate about doing away with
ladies classes. Can anyone put forth an specific example a time when having
ladies classes had a negative effect on an event that you attended??

I know that everyone thinks differently, but the way I see it no mattter what
class someone runs in, why does the goings on in other classes, whether they
are open or ladies,  affect your fun factor??
I suppose there are some possible ways...

1) Other classes dilute the size of your class:  But then, everyone says that
the ladies classes are small, so doing away with Ladies classes will not make
the open classes that much bigger.

2) Costs extra $:  The cost of another set of awards for ladies classes are
probably a very small fraction of the total cost of the event, so I suspesct
that the impact of my entry fee is minimal

3) Will win the set of tires (or insert your favorite $ award) for winning the
championship:  I doubt that the company putting up the prizes will offer a set
of tires to the 1st AND 2nd place in open if ladies disappears....  Besides,
you might be in the wrong sport if a big motivation  is winning $ & tires &
stuff.

I guess I can't figure out how having ladies classes degrades, detracts, or
minimizes the open classes.  On the other hand there are some definite
advantages - including increased participation and support for familes where
the female members are not comfortable running against blood thirsy,
adreneline junkie, testoserone fueled competitors.

Everyone has different motivations for showing up and driving - and I
guarantee that I don't understand everyone's reason - but I can still respect
their reasons and support a system that does as well.

Just my dis-passionate 2 cents worth....

Mike Taylor

Mike Taylor
miket@interaccess.com