Re: Ladies classes

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ladies classes
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 11:19:13 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Jeff Cashmore wrote:
> Solo 2 is a pretty big pond with many different kinds of fish in it.  We
> range from serious, hard core Nationals type competitors to regional,
> run-just-for-fun locals.  From stock 4 cyl econoboxes to highly modified
> V8's.  Some regions have 250 entrants at a local event, some have 30.
> Somehow, our poor little rule book has to work out for everyone.  I
> would think that we need Ladies classes more on the regional level than
> anywhere else.  Like it or not, the SCCA is a very family orientated
> organization.  Ladies classes play a big role in membership recruiting.

I agree, at the regional level.  The "solution" that I see is the
following:

* Eliminate Ladies classes at Divisonals, Tours, Pros, and Nationals.
* Modify the co-driver rules to allow 2 "same sex" co-drivers (same as
  now) or 3 "different sex" co-drivers.
* Allow regions to continue to do what they want with seperate ladies
  classes for each open class, a combined ladies class, a "Novice" class
  system, etc.

I'll actually get off my butt and put this in a letter to the SCCA.  I
encourage other folks to write in support or terror, as appropriate :-)

Mark