Re: Street Modified cost

To: "Jim Fossum" <jfossum1@nycap.rr.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Street Modified cost
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 13:32:02 -0500
Jim Fossum wrote:

> This equates to nearly 660 bhp at the crank.
> I know of several 2.0 liter motors with big turbos making this
kind of power,
> but to get low turbo lag and good drivability as well, this
could be an
> expensive proposition.

Here's another possibility in SM: a custom transmission with
close ratio gears that can keep a peaky engine in its powerband
from, say, 20 mph to 65 or so. Not much use on the street, but
presently allowed by the SM rules. I know of Prepared and Mod
cars geared like this. Why wouldn't the concept be just as
effective in SM?

> Sure, there may be more cost effective ways to make the car
faster, but once
> you've exhausted all of these (and so has your competition),

Which is the important part (IMHO). Until the bar starts getting
raised substantially - a process that will likely continue over a
5-10 year period - it may _look_ like you don't have to build a
grenade motor and an unobtanium gearbox to win in SM. Once the
first competitor does it, you have two choices: see his(her) bet
(and maybe raise it ;<) or fold.

I have no problem with that scenario myself, but I have a feeling
that there are SM competitors out there who might not be too
pleased by it.

Jay