Re: Street Modified cost

To: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>,
Subject: Re: Street Modified cost
From: "Patrick Washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 16:03:08 -0500
I think your right Jay, and I have held this same opinion since the
formation of SM as an organized class.  (I differentiate an "organized
class" in opposition to a local "catch all" kind of class usually seen
prior to this.)  I can see a parallel to AM where a single car will be
built and will dominate for a period since the cost and effort to build a
better car are simply too great for most people.  Some loony will come
along and build a nastier machine and the bar will have just been raised
higher.

I have nothing against "SM", or an SM type class, at the local level where
anyone can bring anything and still have fun.  It will soon become an
overly expensive and discouragingly competitive place to be if left to
advance as a Nationally recognized class.  Disclaimers, IMO, yada, yada...

> Which is the important part (IMHO). Until the bar starts getting
> raised substantially - a process that will likely continue over a
> 5-10 year period - it may _look_ like you don't have to build a
> grenade motor and an unobtanium gearbox to win in SM. Once the
> first competitor does it, you have two choices: see his(her) bet
> (and maybe raise it ;<) or fold.
>
> Jay

Patrick Washburn
C-Tech Trailer Cabinets