RE:Street Modified cost

To: <jfossum1@nycap.rr.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE:Street Modified cost
From: "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 18:24:30 -0500
I disagree with your anology.

There is a very popular engine conversion for the Fiero out there - a
Northstar engine with a Isuzu 5 speed tranny. This drivetrain setup would
easily be within the scope and rules of SM right out of the box, and would
come very close to the numbers you are discussing. It actually weighs less
than the 2.8 V6 the suspension was designed for.

A small block Chevy is also a common engine swap in these cars, and an
aluminum Corvette engine would exceed the numbers you are talking about. No
blowers, no nitrous, the SBC is known for the amount of power that can be
extracted from it. Streetable power - with the right setup a SBC can be easily
set up to peak in mid-range (exactly what you need in autocrossing). Even a
cast iron block only weighs about 50 or 60lbs heavier than the stock motors in
the Fiero, so setting that up is not that big a chore.

Neither of these would be an expensive conversion, as conversions go. I guess
my point is that the "I" class  DG has come up could finally provide the Fiero
driver with someplace he could be competitive within the SCCA. . As a Fiero
nut myself, I have found that my marque is totally outclassed in every case
within the SCCA (except E-Mod in tube chassis form). So SM(2) could be the one
salvation for us. This car can readily accept most GM motors, either FWD or
RWD, and I know of more than one 500+ horsepower street driven Fiero.

So, I have hopes for SM - especially that it expand to SM(2). Of course, if
the SCCA would open their eyes (and minds) and simply class the driver instead
of the car, all this would be moot.

------------------------------
Jim Fossum <jfossum1@nycap.rr.com> wrote

> > In SM, the tires act as an engine power/money fuze.

>    >What do you figure, roughly, that fuze is rated for, in power terms?

> Lets see, my FS Camaro puts down ~.65-.7g accel on "skinny" 245 tires.
Figure
> with bigger tires and suspension mods a RWD SM car can pull ~.8g.  Next,
lets
> say on a typical course, there is some benefit to acceleration at the
traction
> limit up to about 60mph.  This point is obviously debatable.  There is a
law
> of diminishing returns here that will be highly course dependent, but even
if
> the advantage is smaller on some courses than others, a skilled driver
should
> be able to gain a (small) advantage.
>
> Then .8G at 60mph in a 3100 lbm car (reasonably achievable  weight?)
requires